Narcolepsy-Cataplexy Syndrome??: Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Perhaps its due to the severe lack of sleep that I was a zombie today. Sauntering around the school looking so lifeless. And perhaps its due to the reoccurence of pyrexia and the worsening of pharyngitis that made me look even worst.
But the most interesting that I've learnt today was in Physiology. Narcolepsy-Cataplexy Syndrome *which I self-diagnose that I suffer from it* Here is what it says in the lecture notes...
Narcolepsy-Cataplexy Syndrome:
Irresistable urge to sleep during the daytime
Cataplexy - loss muscle tone in some part provoke strong emotion
And according to the Online Medical Dictionary (@ http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/omd/)
Narcolepsy: A disorder of sleep associated with excessive daytime sleepiness, involuntary daytime sleep episodes, disturbed nocturnal sleep and cataplexy
Cataplexy: A sudden loss of muscle tone that may be induced by severe mental shock or an an additional feature of narcolepsy.
In layman's terms, using the example of a scene in a lecture hall:
Students have the urge to fall asleep (or has fallen asleep) despite it is daytime [Narcolepsy]
The head is often the first to become weak (loss of muscle tone), explaining the head noddings in class. [Cataplexy]
Yes.. just ask around and you realise how many times I had to be woken up during lessons, how many times I had to borrow notes from others and how many times I simply don't understand what the lesson was all about. Now I know what is wrong with me. Please remember, it is involuntary. *haha*












