I am Loose.: Tuesday, October 11, 2005
I am Loose. Yes I am.
Loose joints. That's what I have.
Certified by HB.
Volunteered to demonstrate strectching quadriceps femoris, together with Pompy. Walked to the 'electric' bed and lied down as a subject. Pompy was suppose to be the therapist. HB intervened. Argh.
"So to teach the patients how to stretch the hamstrings, they can touch their toes in this position (long sitting)..."
[Reach forward and touch my toes. A normal movement.]
*GASP* *GASP*
[I look around. Puzzled]
Subject for Hip and Pelvic Region. Again. Coincidence? I'm not too sure. But it seems I'm always the subject for the hip and pelvic region. Good? Bad? Both. You know how uncomfortable it can get at times. Especially with 18 pair of eyes scrutinizing the vaste amounts of adipose tissues on me.
"In this position [supine], you can also measure the ROM of hip joint.. Hip flexion"
[Does hip flexion and knee flexion. Another normal movement.]
"...so you can see, she has the full range of flexion..."
[places goniometer and measures]
"She has... 170 degress of hip flexion"
"So, the stretches. You can stretch the gluteus medius and minimus together."
[In supine, he crosses my leg, knee flexed. Brings hip into flexion. I hold my own leg. Stretch? I don't feel it? Pause. He frowns. I frown. ]
"The patient can stretch on their own like this, or the therapist can do manual stretch like this."
[Extends tmy hip and he holds the crossed leg]
"Externally rotate and stretch. Gluteus medius and minimus"
[Stretch? I Question mark. He frowns too.]
"You feel the stretch?"
[Shakes head]
[Pushes the leg very much further]
"You feel the stretch now?"
"Yes..." [-_-]
"To stretch the gluteus maximus, you can ask the patient to do this (hip flexion, knee flexed). But for her, there's no need to stretch. [slearp.grin.] She's...... she has full range of flexion"
[what's that suppose to mean??]
In the chapter "Architecture and Functions of the Hand", a sentence puzzled me. "It is essential that the middle phalanx never be hyperextended; this position triggers a zig-zag (swan-neck) deformity and severly impairs function." Took a look at my middle phalanges. Extension. Hyperextension? I don't have swan-neck deformity. But I can hyperextend my middle phalanges. At least I think it is hyperextension.
"HB.. this is extension of the middle phalanx right?"
"Yes.. that's extension"
"Then is this still extension or hyperextension? The middle phalanx."
"Oh.. that is definitely hyperextension."
"Huh? They why it says the middle phalanx should never be hyperextended?"
(Shows the book...Reads the part I highlighted)
"Yes, that's right. It's because YOU have loose joints. Look at you just now! Everything is so loose. All those stretches..." (grin)
"Nope. [frowns] It's not by right. You're loose everywhere! You're probably born with it. You're just different."
"Do you play any musical instruments.. like the piano?"
[shakes head]
"Cause if you do, you'll probably won't go very far because of your loose ligaments. Will also increase chances of swan-neck..."
[no wonder i'm such a lousy player in band.. i thought]
"Well, it's nothing serious. It's just what you do that can cause deformities. If you played sports.. like rugby... Someone tackles you, and you...so loose everywhere, you'll dislocate all over the place!...."
[no wonder i'm lousy at sports...i thought]
Loose joints. That's what I have.
Certified by HB.
Volunteered to demonstrate strectching quadriceps femoris, together with Pompy. Walked to the 'electric' bed and lied down as a subject. Pompy was suppose to be the therapist. HB intervened. Argh.
"So to teach the patients how to stretch the hamstrings, they can touch their toes in this position (long sitting)..."
[Reach forward and touch my toes. A normal movement.]
*GASP* *GASP*
[I look around. Puzzled]
Subject for Hip and Pelvic Region. Again. Coincidence? I'm not too sure. But it seems I'm always the subject for the hip and pelvic region. Good? Bad? Both. You know how uncomfortable it can get at times. Especially with 18 pair of eyes scrutinizing the vaste amounts of adipose tissues on me.
"In this position [supine], you can also measure the ROM of hip joint.. Hip flexion"
[Does hip flexion and knee flexion. Another normal movement.]
"...so you can see, she has the full range of flexion..."
[places goniometer and measures]
"She has... 170 degress of hip flexion"
"So, the stretches. You can stretch the gluteus medius and minimus together."
[In supine, he crosses my leg, knee flexed. Brings hip into flexion. I hold my own leg. Stretch? I don't feel it? Pause. He frowns. I frown. ]
"The patient can stretch on their own like this, or the therapist can do manual stretch like this."
[Extends tmy hip and he holds the crossed leg]
"Externally rotate and stretch. Gluteus medius and minimus"
[Stretch? I Question mark. He frowns too.]
"You feel the stretch?"
[Shakes head]
[Pushes the leg very much further]
"You feel the stretch now?"
"Yes..." [-_-]
"To stretch the gluteus maximus, you can ask the patient to do this (hip flexion, knee flexed). But for her, there's no need to stretch. [slearp.grin.] She's...... she has full range of flexion"
[what's that suppose to mean??]
In the chapter "Architecture and Functions of the Hand", a sentence puzzled me. "It is essential that the middle phalanx never be hyperextended; this position triggers a zig-zag (swan-neck) deformity and severly impairs function." Took a look at my middle phalanges. Extension. Hyperextension? I don't have swan-neck deformity. But I can hyperextend my middle phalanges. At least I think it is hyperextension.
"HB.. this is extension of the middle phalanx right?"
"Yes.. that's extension"
"Then is this still extension or hyperextension? The middle phalanx."
"Oh.. that is definitely hyperextension."
"Huh? They why it says the middle phalanx should never be hyperextended?"
(Shows the book...Reads the part I highlighted)
"Yes, that's right. It's because YOU have loose joints. Look at you just now! Everything is so loose. All those stretches..." (grin)
.
.
.
"So by right it's not suppose to be like that?""Nope. [frowns] It's not by right. You're loose everywhere! You're probably born with it. You're just different."
.
.
.
"Do you play any musical instruments.. like the piano?"
[shakes head]
"Cause if you do, you'll probably won't go very far because of your loose ligaments. Will also increase chances of swan-neck..."
[no wonder i'm such a lousy player in band.. i thought]
"Well, it's nothing serious. It's just what you do that can cause deformities. If you played sports.. like rugby... Someone tackles you, and you...so loose everywhere, you'll dislocate all over the place!...."
[no wonder i'm lousy at sports...i thought]
.
.
.
Lesson Learnt Today: I am loose. Certified.












