What an eventful day!: Friday, June 23, 2006

Life Documentation
23 June 2006, Friday
It seems like life has been pretty much plain and stressful ever since the 'holiday' ended.. and with the start of internship. Nothing much has happened in my life other than the eventful stressors happening during internship. But it seems like the 'happenings' have been accumalating and decided to make its appearance today.

Event No. 1: Flooding at Novena MRT Station

[Report from ChannelNewsAsia.com]

SINGAPORE : It was a wet ride for commuters at the Novena MRT station on Friday morning. Water flowed into the station at 7am, causing some inconvenience, but train services were not disrupted.
Passengers arriving at the station had to walk through about three centimetres of water. To ensure the safety of commuters and prevent damage to the electrical equipment, the fare gates, lifts and escalators were shut down. SMRT staff also assisted commuters at the concourse and platforms, and announcements were made to remind passengers to mind the wet floors.
By 8.30am, the fare gates were back in operation, and cleaners were brought in to clean the station. Preliminary investigations showed that a nearby construction site was the cause of the seepage.
Affected commuters can go to any SMRT Passenger Service Centre to have their fare cards restored. - CNA /ct
Yes. I was a victim caught in the flood. And it seems like 3cm.... is pretty much an underestimation. I remember the water was almost ankle-deep. I pretty much had to tiptoe all my way up from the platform, up the stairs, and to the stairs leading to Novena Square.
Let's start from the beginning... Took the earlier than usual train because finally getting hang on the timing of the NS Line at Dhoby Ghaut, so it means I would usually arrive at Novena MRT Station at around 7.40am the latest. As the train approached the station, I got up and started walking towards the door, and something caught my attention.
There was a fountain/waterfall in the MRT station. What I saw was water gushing down the 2 flights of stairs I religiously climb up every weekday for the past 3 weeks. My first thought "OMG. What the.....???????" Then as the door was opening, I spotted a man in purple directing the passangers to 'safer' grounds. And what I noticed was, he was barefooted! But alas, it was too late. For the moment I stepped out of the train, it was simply "SPLASH". Soggy socks. Oh man!!! I cursed for a moment. No vulgarities though. I'm civilised. Haha.
Those who alighted nearer the 'safe' side had a chance of taking off their shoes and socks. Lucky them. I wasn't. So there I was, tip toeing all the way across the station and up the escalator, examining the damage done. Ever seen people holding umbrellas within the station? I have today. It rained indoors... literally. Water is like everywhere. I thought the MRT station was a goner!
Anyway, as I tip toed up the non-moving escalator *at least they bothered to switch off all electrical things* I thanked myself for walking on tip-toes isn't all that hard to me. Haha. And then when I got to the upper levels, another person guided us out of the station, without needed to 'tap to exit'. Was a little worried about that because I was thinking... "Hmm, if I don't tap out when I go home, how to tap in since I technically never exited the train stations?" Haha. Money wasn't the problem. Just the hassle of going to the ctrl station and get things 'fixed'.
And while I was busy watching my step and examining the damage, I see people taking lots of photos. I thought "stupid. nothing better to do is it?"... but then now I wished I had videoed the whole thing. Hahahahahhahaa. I mean it's not like such things happen everyday.
So in the end, walked a huge round to the hospital because of the flood.. which I belive was more than 3cm. It better not happen again the next time it rain. Argh!
Event No. 2: Photographs
Got a chance to see photographs of a leg that was ran over by a truck, sustaining a crush injury. Wow. I mean, although I would very much like to see the real thing, I was happy enough to see the photo because that was as much as I could get. Haha.
Hey... I'm no sadist. I'm just envious of the surgeons who get to see what people deem as 'gruesome'. For me, it's so interesting! Squirmy and eeky? No way. I'm still awaiting for a day where I can observe an operation.....
And I'm shocked that people think I'm adventurous. That I look like someone who is interested in such things. Hahhaha. Do I look like a "sadist"? Ahem!
So it was a BKA in the end.
Event No. 3: The Racist Reinforcer
Someone once said to me "I am not racist; but I'm forced to be". I totally agree with it.
I can truly say I am not a racist person. I accepted all race and religion and believe that everyone should and can live in peace and harmony, and most importantly, the respect for the difference of each and every human being.
But then, some things happended that really made me racist. It really does only take ONE BLACK SHEEP to kill the entire race. And I mean literally.
So today, met a very difficult and UNREASONABLE man who really made the day start off so horribly. Yeah, of course I'm educated. So what? If you want someone that speaks your language then don't stay here! Go to where your language is first language! If not, let me this educated person teach you something called PROBLEM SOLVING.
1. Hire a translator.
2. Go to another medical centre. If not, better still, go to the country that speaks your language.
3. If you lack the finance resources, then stay by the bed side and be the translator.
4. And if circumstances does not allow you to, then find a replacement.
5. If all else fails, then just hold your tongue. We are ethical people.
Seriously. One black sheep. Yucks. I reinforce... I am not racistl; I am FORCED to be.
Event No. 4: Azabu Sabo
I think I should have gotten the name of the restaurant right... did I? Rui, is it right?
Anyway, received sms that my sis is treating us for dinner at a Jap restaurant at Marina Square. My first thoughts "Oh! Is it the one rui always goes to and talks about?" So excited!
Called up my sis and asked her more about the place and confirmed that it was the same place as the one Rui keeps mentioning about in her blog. Haha. So happy and excited!
But spoiler for the evening: I was in the cleaner's baju (named by LRR. LoL!). Didn't have extra clothing with me, coz didn't expect to be going out. Oh man...........
Anyhow, dinner was great! Hee! Thanks for the treat ya!!

readers
credits: 1 2 copyright © a little memory
"♫Insert song title here!"
-