Once in 4 Years: Sunday, July 02, 2006

Every 4 years, we all look forward to something special....
The appearance of February 29 on our calendars, the Olympics and of course, the FIFA World Cup.
It has been 4 years since we saw reigning champion Brazil beat Germany in the Fifa World Cup finals at the Yokohama Stadium, with a score 2-0. It was certainly a great World Cup that year... for the game was finally hosted by Asian countries. No more midnights and late night sleeps; everyone could rush home in time to catch the matches in the evening local time. We even got witness the great match of Brazil vs England in the Quaterfinals... way before the finals. Wow.
And so, 2006 is the World Cup year.

As much as I want to catch the matches, reality seems to bug me down. Doesn't help much when you are having your internship either. Yes sure, I can always stay up to watch the matches at 3am, but that's with the tradeoff of lesser sleep, which then means going to the hospital in a 'drowsy' state. And that certainly shouldn't and cannot happen. I need to pass. I need to survive at least.
But many of the matches have been disappointing. And the teams that I so wish to see them into the finals are all gone.
First, there goes Argentina... from an initial outstanding performance against Serbia & Montenegro, Argentina departed the World Cup with a disgraceful lost in the match against Germany in the Quater-final. Arsenal keeper Jens Lehmann becoming the hero of the Germans with two saves in the 4-2 penalty shoot-out triumph.
And soon after, Jose Pekerman resigns as Argentina coach following the penalty shoot-out defeat to Germany. Sigh.
Adios Maxi Rodriguez. Adios Carlos Tevez. Adios Argentina. Sobs.
Then, my all time favourite team - Brazil, has been disappointing in this 2006 World Cup. The legendary three Rs have not been shining in the games, and I certainly haven't caught much of the shining white pearlies of my fav player Ronaldinho. Thinking that I could catch a better performance of the team when they were finally up against an old rival, France, I was certainly disappointed. Their road to defending their title as world champs and winning the Cup once again was cut short after losing to France 1-0 in the Quater-final this morning. Sigh.
Remaining matches: Germany vs. Italy; Portugal vs. France.
World Cup 2006 has been... in my opinion, Ds - Dreadful, Dull, Disappointing. And now that my favourites are no longer in the game, it doesn't really matter much to me now who wins the cup. Does it?
readers
credits: 1 2 copyright © a little memory
"♫Insert song title here!"
-