Life Documentation: Aug 7 - Aug 13 [Part I]: Sunday, August 13, 2006
It has been some time since I've updated my blog. I have been busy, as usual. But this time around, I was to caught up in getting a 'new life'. Haha. It has been amazing, considering that I'm drowned in the midst of school work. Now, I'm back here in reality, to share with what has happened this week... which in the context of my life, is considered 'happening'. =)
7 August 2006, Monday
Today is a very special day. ZQ has been planning for it since the previous week. However, to make things as less suspicious as possible, Me had to make a lot of last minute arrangements, as well as to tell white lies. Firstly, to xy, who could be possibly reading this, I really didn't mean to bluf you... was just trying my best to make things the LEAST suspicious so that it can be a surprise ok?And to all readers: Nothing was really planned out, Me had to adapt to the ever changing situations; so it was impromptu most of the time.
It all began on Saturday 5 August 2006. As ZQ wanted to plan a surprise for xy, whose birthday falls on the 8th of August, they started planning some time ahead; and I was delegated the task of asking xy out for a movie on Monday, and then convince her to enter some restaurant where the rest of them surprise her. Sounds easy? It's NOT!
Well, firstly, I had to plan how on earth to make sure we go for a movie. So on Saturday, emailed xy some info regarding our project, and VERY 顺便 asked her if we should watch movie on Monday after our usual project meeting [on every monday] since it was a very RARE chance we only had an hour lesson for the day. Haha. The main purpose for the email was to sms her regarding movie. Haha. Sorry xy! Psy was an excuse :p I was worried it would be suspicious to just ask you like that. Note: Conversations aren't direct quotations; but the idea/meaning is the same. This is as much as I could remember.
So, xy agreed and said we'll decide on Monday. Anyway, fast forward to Monday 12pm, we met up as usual for psy, and started discussion. Had to decide on which movie, and then settled on Hard Candy at 4.20pm at Cineleisure. So far, thought it was pretty obvious, but kept my fingers crossed she hasn't suspected anything.
Fast forward: 4.20pm. We just arrived at the ticket booth. Haha. Not sure why we reached Cineleisure so late. Ended up not having any seats except the first row ones, so decided to watch the korean movie Now and Forever at 5.15pm. Bad news. Because it was much later than planned. So had to contact the rest of them in school who were busy with... I don't know what. Haha. Kept getting sms and xy asked 'How come so many sms today?'. Oh-oh... and luckily, I replied "Coz today all (JCmates.. e guys) first day of school. Complaining to me about the girls. Haha". PHEW. Well, that was partly true, just that I was receiving sms from ahma too.
In the end, the rest of them stationed themselves at Sushi Tei at Taka while we were watching the movie. Now the trick was to convince her to go there for dinner. Tough tough tough. So after the movie, she was like... where should we go for dinner? And I said... let's get out of here first. Haha. Asked her where she wanted to eat [so that she won't get suspicious], and luckily she said anything. Then, at the road, decided that lets walk towards Taka side since towards Somerset station doesn't have uch food [which is not really true. Haha] And nearing Taka, I was like "Okay, lets eat at Taka". Thank goodness she was alright with anything.
"What's there to eat at Taka?" I asked her...while we were walking in. "Oh.. Mos, Yoshi, Pepper Lunch..." Oh-oh. That's at the basement. Not at level 2. "Is there any other places?" "Er ya. Upstairs.. more high class one. haha" "Okay, let's go see". And in the end, ended up at level 3. Still not at the right level. "Eh I don't know what's there to eat. Lets look for the directory" And it so happened I spotted a directory at level 2. "Let's go and check" Hahahaha. Then, when we checked the directory, there was only Crystal Jade and Sushi Tei. Xy said lets go Crystal Jade and see... Oh oh. "Not too sure if its the same one that hs the la-mian. Ok lor, let's go see" And luckily, it wasn't! Haha. We saw the entrance and she was like "wah. so posh one meh? scary. haha" "don't know leh. doesn't seem to be the same one. Do u want to try Sushi Tei?" "Okay, let's go take a look. I haven't eaten there before" [YES!!]
Fast forward: At the entrance of Sushi Tei. Okay, the plan was that the rest of them wld be at the entrance when we enter. But I DON'T SEE THEM! Really panicked. When we entered, the waiter asked "Table for how many?" "Two" And he directed to two seats right at the entrace by the sushi belt. Oh sh*t. "Erm, could I have table seats?" That was all I could think of.. and wondering where the hell was everyone. So started walking inside and the waiter was so confused and panicky. Luckily.... I heard "Happy birthday to you.... Happy birthday to you..." You couldn't imagine how happy I was to hear that! Finally. And I felt REALLY bad.. coz I had to lie to the waiter. Apologised to him. And I felt really bad to xy, coz have been 'bluffing' her the whole time. Haha.
And bottom line: she didn't suspect anything. PHEW. So I assume that is considered a success? Haha. Yeah! Sorry guys, no pictures.. coz I didn't get any from the photographer =P
Alrights. Moving on... Movie review! Yupz yupz. Does anyone read my movie reviews anyway? Haha. I seriously wonder if I should stop... Hmm.
Directed by: Kim Seong Jung
Starring Choi Ji Woo & Jo Han-sun
From a distance, a tree stands alone at the top of a small hill, overlooking the vast canvas of clear skies and the sea. A breeze passes by, and the leaves rustle. Once again, a beautiful scene is set. Next, we are introduced to the main lead Min-su (Jo Han-sun), a play boy who finds love is all a game, a non-believer in relationships and LOVE. He tries as much as to lie to the 'stalker' on the phone, while getting dressed, and at the same time, convincing the girl he slept with that he loved her. What a man...
However, fate seems to change him into a different man when he meets a dazzinling beauty, Hye-won (Choi Ji Woo), who just once again escaped from the hospitaland. By a stroke of concidence and fate, both of them meet on a rainy day; Min-su enthusiatically admits himself into the hospital where he initially thought Hye-won worked as a nurse, so that he could return her handphone which she left behind in the car. So much for his friend trying to hard to convince him to get a check-up after that minor car accident.
Chased by a nurse upon her return, she runs into the men's ward [room] that was directly across to hers; and to no surprise, she meets Min Su the 2nd time. From there, he gets captivated by her and tries all means to impress her; and to the females, he certainly has the suave moves. Slowly, he realises that he has truly fallen in love with her; Yet, Hye-Won tries as much to resist him, for she was fighting against a terminal illness... (think it was pulmonary hypertension, according to the subtitles).
If you're thinking that this is just like any other Korean production, be it drama series or movies, you're partly right. Excellent cinematography has been the highlight and captivating factor of Korean productions, where ordinary becomes extraordinary... Just think back. A simple tree. A simple bench. A simple wooden hut. A simple walkway. These seemingly ordinary places, in an instant, thanks to excellent skills, become the most romantic place and then turns into a hot tourist spot. And with no exception, this movie is filled with beautiful sceneries and amazing cinematography.
Yet, unlike many Korean productions where it's soapy right at the beginning, the movie opens with much fun and laughter. From Min-su's lame excuses to the many women he tries to avoid, to Hye-Won's hilarious great escapes from the hospital, it certainly is very much different from the usual Korean sad stories. Plus, on top of excellent chemistry between the two lead actors, the supporting roles, the doctor and head nurse and Hye Won's girl friend and Min Su's buddy, were amazingly hilarious.
And admist the laughter, audience is soon brought back to the 'sad' reality to the fact that Hye Won will die any time soon. The mood of the 2nd half of the movie changes drastically, and we are plunged into sadness and sorrow... the Korean style.
A heart-wrenching-tear-inducing plot develops and unfolds; for the sentimental ones, be armed with tissue boxes [the 2 girls behind us were crying like... taps?] But then, a sudden change in the story makes the audience grieve even more. What is going to catch you off guard is revealed at the ending part of the movie. So be prepared. =)
In all, it is a commendable effort which deserves 3.5 stars, due to the entire casts efforts that sets it apart from the usual Korean soaps. Otherwise, it would have just been as any korean productions - excellent cinematography, one lover is dying of terminal illnesses, everyone crys, someone dies, plus the fact that the character Choi Ji Woo plays once again falls into her undeniably forte genre with nothing refreshing.
And it's such movie that you wish you have a special someone by your side in the theatre. Haha. Sigh. Hope you weren't disappointed xy =P













