Traffic Light Trip to Phuket - Day 1: Sunday, December 24, 2006

Life Documentation

11 December 2006, Monday

It's really been a really long time since I've woken up at 4.30am... Only sleeping at 4.30am seems like a more common thing during school term. Haha. Anyway, today I'm off to Phuket, Thailand for a short little trip with my fellow travelmate xy, and a new travelmate pompy.
Booked a cab and thought about the amount of money I'm going to be spending on cab. *faints* I'm SO broke.

Everyone else in the house was asleep and no one bothered to wake up to say bye to me... only Max did. Oh wells.

Went down to meet Mr. Cab and I walked to the passenger side... he looked at me and chuckled. I was indeed very puzzled.

"No lar... I thought going to airport will have luggage" and proceeds to shut the boot to his taxi Hmm... so I just got into the cab and off we went to the new Budget Terminal. Well, new to me at least. Haha.

And Mr. Cab tried to strike a converstation with me... I think after a long drive through the night its finally good to have someone to talk to...

"Where you going? How come no luggage?"
"Er, just a short trip nearby only."
"Short trip to where?"
"Phuket"
"How many days?"
"Er.. 4-5 days"
"4-5 day short trip?! Phuket? Then no luggage?"
"No ah... bagpack." *points to my haversack sitting beside me*
"Orh... I thought you didn't bring any luggage. Wah, going Phuket 4-5 days only like that?"
"Yar... nothing much to bring"
"Haha... I thought women always got a lot of things to bring. When I travel with my wife, she packs so many things."
"Really? Haha"
"You really travel like a man"

Haha. Anyway, met pompy and xy over at the Budget terminal in our crocs! Yesh.. pompy has finally gotten her pair of crocs! Welcome to the gang! Haha... Hmm.. the budget terminal is really... budget? Haha... A little not used to it since I've always travelled non-budgetly and this is my first time at this terminal. Hmm...

Welcome to the Budget Terminal!

Checked in, had a light snack and decided to head in to the customs to wait to board. We entered and was about to head to the counter when this female security guard called out to us to stop. On no..what did we do?!

Then she jokingly said something like "stop! traffic light ah. Must stop"
Puzzled..we were all looking at each other.

Then she pointed to our crocs. Now we get it. And we all had a big laugh. Haha. It's no wonder... and I really don't know how we never noticed. Pompy was in red crocs, I was in yellow and xy was in green crocs! Haha. Stop, Ready, Go!

So she guided us through this machine that looks really like those enter/exit machines at the MRT stations, except that it has two barriers. Wow. So fun I tell you. It feels like taking the train with your passport and thumbprint instead. Haha. Cool!! I want to try it out again!

Queued up at the boarding gate because its FREE SEATING *faints* and did shtuff... you know..taking pictures, making not-so-nice comments about certain passengers and then scrutinizing the walls of the airport.


It was time to board the plane... such a new experience! You know how those VIPs, ministers, royalties travel... and when they board or alight the plane, they've got to climb this flight of stairs, instead of how we usually walk through this space tunnel? Yar.. we did exactly just that! Haha...so cool. Feel like some VIP boarding the plane as I climbed the steps. Haha.

Flight TR159



Passengers trying really hard to walk down the aisle

Budget flight... is really budget flight. NO LEG SPACE!! It's super cramp! That's really bad news for me and xy.. and especially pompy. For well, I'm not that tall but pompy is. Haha... So we decided that Pompy can have the 'aisle seat'.

The Traffic Lights and their seats

Took off at around 7.35am local time, and it was about a 1.5 hour flight to phuket. Reached there at about 7.45am Phuket Time.

Amongst the clouds we flew


As we exited, we tried looking for the person to 'welcome' us with a sign with our names... took us awhile to find it. Well, you can't blame us even though we had 10 pairs of eyes. Tony (the guide) wrote on the piece of paper "***** (an indian name) s/o [next line] Chua......". Haha. Suddenly xy is a mother. Omg. So we were 'teamed' up with an Indian family of 5 and had a half day tour with them.


Don't remember much of what the guide said coz honestly, I'm not a big fan of guided tours.. haha. But I remember something he said that was quite funny. "In Phuket, you are one hour younger. Congratulations". Haha.


So we visited this local t-shirt factory, followed by this place that sold local food products and another place that had elephant walk, atv, etv. But we were all too hot and tired to try them out, and more importantly, these 'entertainment' didn't come cheap. Haha. So we headed to the hotel and on the way, stopped by 7-11 to get some drinks. And we got ourselves a 6L mineral water. Haha. Tony asked if we were going to bathe with it. -_-" We know that we will not be drinking the tap water over at Phuket so yeah, we need our own stock of water, especially since we have pompy. Haha.

And so we arrive at Patong Beach...

And Royal Palm is the place to stay!

Yup... Royal Palm Resort at Patong Beach is the place that we'll be staying for the next four days. Quite a cozy little resort with a nice ambience... just one thing: It isn't equipped with a lift. Haha. But that's good as well considering the amount of food and fats we were all putting during our 4 days trip. 3 storeys of stairs certainly can do some help to us. *chuckles*

Arrived at the hotel at about 1pm (Note: Times will now all be local Phuket time unless otherwise specified) and after checking out the amount of space in the room, and the hotel staff setting up an extra makeshift bed for the trio, it was time to reckee the surrounding...

We brought a map along... and in less than 30 minutes, we realise there isn't really a need to. Haha... As much as the roads and alleys are complicating, I dare say as 3 therapist in the making, we do have decently good topographical orientation. Haha.

The road just outside Royal Palm

Here we go exploring...

Soon we got hungry... considering it was already pass 2pm and we haven't had anything to eat since 6am. While Pompy and xy were busy looking for edible food, I was busy looking for postcards and the post office...Why was I looking for postcards and post office on the first day of the trip? Well.. its for dear zz. *smiles* Hope she got the postcard eventually.

And so they found food and I found postcards...

They bought some local food (noodles) from a roadside stall... It's a noodle stall on a motorbike. Interesting eh. Well, it was kuay teow with char siew and wonton and the rest I'm not too sure. I daren't eat it because of several reasons..

1. It was the first day of the trip...

2. ...So I don't wish to be sick for the next 3 days

3. ...I was unfamiliar where the toilets are located

4. If Singapore's tap water could cause me a tummyache when I was young, I really daren't try to be adventurous.

Yeah.. yours truly here does have a weak stomach... something that I didn't wish for. So just wanted to play safe on the first day, although actually I came prepared with a box of medication. Haha.

After checking out the place and buying postcards etc... we decided to have lunch at McDonalds....

Finally... PORK burger!

It was good... really good in fact. Other than the pork burgers, their menu is pretty similar to ours. Hmm... they did have 6p and 10p chicken nuggets...More importantly, it was English. Luckily. Haha. The only problem was that their coke did taste a little funny. Not too sure if it was me or.... oh wells.

After that, we continued exploring. Ok... let me now tell you more about the road outside the hotel. Basically there are two entrance/exits to Royal Palm. The main one leads to an alley... the other at the restaurant leads to the main road and that's the beach across the road.

So there's two way we can walk other than the beach. One to the right and one to the left. Hence we have two names for our directions... To the right is known as walking towards McDonalds/Subway... the other on the left is Holiday Inn.

After exploring what's on the right, we headed down to Holiday Inn to check out what's on the other side of the beach... Stopped by 7-11 and got some drinks before heading back to the hotel.

Tea or Me?

The Newest Spokespersons for Tea!

Hahaha.... oh wells. First night was pretty much quiet... we all did some reading (Yes, we each brought along a book...hey, we're cultured beings! LoL!) and after awhile Pompy moved on to her knitting project....

Soon the lights went dim and we started talking some rubbish.... had an early night as we had to wake up at 545am the very next day.

Day 2 at Phuket coming soon.... *smiles*

readers
credits: 1 2 copyright © a little memory
"♫Insert song title here!"
-