A Very Long Post [Part I]: Sunday, December 03, 2006

Life Documentation
It has been a long time since I've updated my blog. Firstly, 24 hours a day simply isn't enough for me. Secondly, Blogger has been giving me a lot of problems and I haven't been able to upload pictures. Hence, this trouble turned me off whenever I wanted to blog. Thirdly, I suppose my coursemates all know how 'lifeless' we are whenever we are on internship... So basically there isn't much to blog.
But then again, as 'lifeless' as life can be, there'll always be something to blog about....just whether others are willing to read about it or not. So, don't be too bored by this really long posting. *smiles*
15 November 2006, Wednesday
When I saw them once again on youtube, I decided to check out their official website. And when I saw 'Esplanade' among their list of tourdates, I was really excited and I told myself I must go no matter what.
And of course, I did.
Kevin, John, Scott, George, Jeff
Seeing Rockapella live was simply amazing. If you haven't heard what singing is like, then you should hear them. If you want to know what harmony means, they are the guys to listen to. If you want to know exactly how powerful and wonderous the human voice is, then Rockapella is the one you need to listen to. I promise you, you won't have any regrets.
An acapella group consisting of 5 amazing singers... individually they've achieved much recognition in different genres of singing. And when you put 5 of such men together, you get a night of magical music and singing that will cleanse your ears and its nothing like you've ever heard before.
Exaggerating? Definetly not. I truly enjoyed myself. For the past few years, I've only been listening to them. Watching live really awed me... It's simply so hard to understand and believe that everything is sang by the human voice. I guess I've been too many pop concerts and that the singers/artiste often lip sync.
Right before your eyes are 5 talented singers.... who simply really can sing, with one of them who really can 'spit'. As the group members call him, he's the 'Mozart of Spit'; Jeff is the amazing percussionist/ mouth drummer of Rockapella.

The entire performance was really captivating, though I was a little disappointed with Scott. I've always enjoyed his lead singing in Rockapella and his unique voice, yet he seemed to have some problems with his throat that night to cause him to struggle through certain notes. But then again, being such professionals, he manages to pull it through very much better than those many pop idol singers who can't even hold a note comparable to his even with their voices in tip-top shape.

I was in for a surprise for that night, as the limelight was shared equally among the 5 members, featuring solos for each of the singers. I was mesmerized by Kevin's and John's performance, such as the good oldies of 'Under the Boardwalk' and 'Standby Me' and Rockapella's own composition of 'California Girl'. Other songs that I enjoyed were still Rockapella's rendition of several oldies like 'Love Potion No. 9" and the Temptations "My Girl'.

Bassist George definetly proved himself that night as well, displaying his amazing vocal range by not only singing his forte part as a bassist in Rockapella, but also performed a solo performance of Whitney Houston's signature piece "I Will Always Love You". I really kowtow to his amazing range!

Standing ovation greeted them after an hour or so of performance and of course, with such a wonderful response, would the audience let these 5 guys off? Definetly not! They continued to entertain the crowd with their own songs like 'Zombie Jamboree' and "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?".

And of the entire night of approximately 2 hours of performance, one song, or maybe a medley of 2 songs simply melt my heart. When the boys decided to put down their microphones for this song, the entire hall went silent. Such silence that you hardly hear that almost hurt one's ears. And when they started singing the medley of Up on the Roof/Wonderful World (Don't Know Much), everyone was so captivated by their magical pure voices... no microphones mind you... I thought I melted to the seat and was simply captivated that I found myself holding my breath throughout that piece.

And of course, once again, I stood to applause.

It's been awhile since I've been to the Esplanade for performances and these are the upcoming performances that I'm pretty interested in...


The Drifters... that I don't mind giving up to save for The Phantom. The tickets for The Phantom is REALLY expensive. Sigh. Any sponsors?

Another thing to mention is that happened today was that I was really touched by a gesture by my coursemate. In a rush to return to school to return the overdue books (couldn't do it after work as I needed to rush to the Esplanade), I forgot to bring along my umbrella. And as you can pretty much guess, it started to rain on my way back. She offered to come to fetch me at the interchange, which was quite a distance from the hospital.

I was really touched by her gesture. Thank you so much!

readers
credits: 1 2 copyright © a little memory
"♫Insert song title here!"
-