SLEEP.: Sunday, March 04, 2007

SLEEP. The one thing that I never seem to have time for.

As I always say, having 6 hours of sleep is TRULY a luxury. An average of 4-5 hours of sleep at the most, on a typical school day, is what I can afford... Sometime, settling for 2-3hours is good enough.

This is a phenomenon that has been present for many years. The last time I remembered usual bedtime was before 12am was almost 6 years back. Sigh. Although I am aware that 6-8 hours of sleep is the recommendation, how is that humanly possible for someone like me? A VERY mere mortal who has an average (or maybe even below average) intelligence, plus dyspraxia? Impossible.... I dare say.

Then... Yahoo! has to remind me about this thing called SLEEP that is something that is so deprived of in my life. Sobs.

Article No. 1: Poor Sleep Contributes to Health Problems
(Reinberg, 2006. Available: Click Here.)

"There is increasing evidence that there is a very strong relationship between sleep quality and physical and mental health. If you have poor health, that is associated with poor sleep. Also, if you have poor sleep, there is an association between that and poor health. What we don't have yet is the research to categorically say that if you improve sleep, you will improve conditions, such as diabetes or hypertension, or other medical conditions." (Zee, 2006)

This part of the article caught my outmost attention:
  • Fewer hours of sleep may contribute to poor health in young adults.
  • Those in rural areas who sleep fewer hours appear to weigh more.
  • The immune system may play a role in narcolepsy, a disorder characterized by an uncontrollable urge to sleep.
  • The immune system may be affected by a lack of sleep that contributes to inflammation and a variety of diseases.

Yikes. Poor health. Weigh more. Narcolepsy. Poor immune system. That sounds really like me. Oh no....

Article 2: Improve Your Sleep with a Bedroom Makeover

(Mao, 2007. Available: Click Here.)

"It is actually beneficial to your health to give into this urge and get enough sleep. Get at least seven to eight hours of deep, uninterrupted sleep to maintain good health and a long life."

* Oh oh. I almost never get 7-8 hours of sleep. Bad health. Short life. I'm suicidal!*


"You spend a third of your life sleeping, so it is important to be sure your environment for sleeping is soothing and relaxing. Do whatever is possible to establish a quiet and cozy atmosphere."

*Hmm.... that's not too bad. At least my bedroom is rathery quiet... and cozy with my thick blanket, fluffy pillows and cushions and of course, my stuff animals. Haha*

"The lighting should be dim and any music that is played should be peaceful. Keep the décor minimal, with nothing busy to detract from your sleep. Colors should be in the realm of blues, greens, and grays. Some people are surprised when I recommend that there should be no plants in the bedroom.

The reason is that plants give off carbon dioxide and deplete the oxygen in the air you breathe. Also, do not place computers or televisions in your bedroom because they generate electromagnetic fields and positive ions that can induce irritability and agitation."

*Ok. My bedroom is painted in shades of green. Good. Lighting.... is minimal. Music.... is relatively quiet. Good. Good. There are no plants. Good. There is a television in my bedroom. Bad bad bad! EM fields and positive ions!!! No wonder I'm irritable and easily agitated often. Haha*

"Here are the ways to be sure you are getting quality sleep:

  1. Do not eat late. Your last meal should be no later than seven in the evening.
  2. Do not exercise just before bed. You should engage in no strenuous exercise for at least two hours before bed.
  3. There should be no pets in the bedroom. Sleeping with pets often causes restless sleep."

*"Your last meal... no later than seven..." SEVEN?!?!?! How is that even possible?!?! Sometimes I come home only at 7! And eating so early causes me to be hungry by the time the clock strikes 12... no wonder I don't have quality sleep.

"Don't exercise just before bed...". That is tough one. Sometimes if arousal level is way below, I need to do some simple exercises and stretches to bring it to the just right level so that I can sleep. Sigh.

Ok. At least I don't have Max in my bedroom. Though I would really love it. Haha.*

readers
credits: 1 2 copyright © a little memory
"♫Insert song title here!"
-