Bintan: 31.05.07 - 3.06.07: Sunday, June 10, 2007
It's been exactly a week since I came back from the island of Bintan. Initially, I did not intend to blog about the trip because... well, there is really nothing much to blog about since I've been there so many times already. But due to 'popular demand', I shall blog about it.. more pictures than words... hopefully. I've been busy recently although school is out. Haha. Helping out with some things does take up some time. So here's more about my trip...
My Trip to Bintan
For those who don't know, Bintan is an island that I visit often; at least once a year, for the past 5-6 years. So I can't remember exactly how many times I've been there unless I check my passport and count the number to stamps I have. Haha.
So, to get to this wonderful island, you need to take an approx. 45min ferry from Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal. And so, on a public holiday, I wake up at 6am to get myself there at 7am. Lucky I went with Mum, so cab was on her. Haha.
At the ferry terminal I was shocked. First time seeing SOOOOO many people there. I mean it was packed. Could hardly find a seat to wait for the gates to open. And luckily I found seats to enjoy the muffin/cupcake that Jo had baked the previous day.My Trip to Bintan
For those who don't know, Bintan is an island that I visit often; at least once a year, for the past 5-6 years. So I can't remember exactly how many times I've been there unless I check my passport and count the number to stamps I have. Haha.
So, to get to this wonderful island, you need to take an approx. 45min ferry from Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal. And so, on a public holiday, I wake up at 6am to get myself there at 7am. Lucky I went with Mum, so cab was on her. Haha.
And so, on to the ferry I went... as usual. Only this time the ferry got delayed by 30 minutes... no thanks to the inconsiderate people who just simply can't spare a thought for others. The ferry staff had to keep announcing that it was a full ferry that morning (the first ferry on Vesak Day) and they seeked the cooperation of passengers to NOT put baggage on the seats. Sigh. When will these people ever learn?! Not forgetting those who came LATE. Argh!
Okay. So we managed to reach the island after about 45 minutes (minus the delay) and arrived at the resort at about 9.30am [SG time]. Met up with my cousin, niece and nephews.... and one of the twins had put on weight. Haha. Had a fun time mocking him about his size, along with my cousin and her husband. LoL!
This is the villa that we always stay at in Bintan. Its one of the villas in Banyan Biru Villas, which is located just beside Nirwana Gardens Resort (think they are all under the same company). Yup. Cause the company owns this villa and cousin-in-law is...lets just say he's the 'upstairs' people. Haha.. So we kinda get to use this villa.
It's rather big... A living hall, dining area, kitchen, laundry area, and 3 bedrooms (which can be converted to 4 rooms). So whenever we are there, we do some home-cooking as well as eating out. It's a holiday... so can't be cooking every single meal right? Haha.
Just outside the villa, its the beach. About a few steps away only. Haha. It's a great beach... at least to me (compared to those I've been to). Here are some of the great pictures I took... Hee!

It's rather big... A living hall, dining area, kitchen, laundry area, and 3 bedrooms (which can be converted to 4 rooms). So whenever we are there, we do some home-cooking as well as eating out. It's a holiday... so can't be cooking every single meal right? Haha.
Just outside the villa, its the beach. About a few steps away only. Haha. It's a great beach... at least to me (compared to those I've been to). Here are some of the great pictures I took... Hee!
Clean beach... whitetish sand... shells and corals to pick... coconut trees.. and more importantly, look at the CLEAR water! Yesh. You can literally see your feet when you're in the water, even if the water is at your chest level. And if you're lucky, you'll get to see fishes, crabs and starfishes [we used to pick up starfishes that rushed up onto the shore over the night and throw them back to sea =)]
Loving the coconut trees that fill the entire place... makes you feel like you're on holiday. Coconut trees just have that holiday mood in them I feel... just as how fir trees make you feel holidayish and all christmasy. Haha.
Of the 4 days I was there, it rained regularly in the afternoon, from about 12+ to 2pm+. The morning will start with the sunrise at about 5.30am, then its HOT HOT HOT! So we have breakfast at about 8am, head to the beach/pool at 9am. Then after that its a change of venue to the pool/beach. At about 11-12pm we head back to the villa for lunch.
So its usually after lunch it rains and we're always stucked indoors, which isn't a bad thing. Since we can't be out during 12-2pm due to the intensity of UV we'll be exposed to. Haha.
So its usually after lunch it rains and we're always stucked indoors, which isn't a bad thing. Since we can't be out during 12-2pm due to the intensity of UV we'll be exposed to. Haha.
When it rains, we stay indoors...(duh!? LoL!). And what do I do? I just simply sit on the couch to read. If not, I just stare out into the rain and watch it... Yesh. No youtubing or crunchyrolling for me.. cut off from 'civilisation' for 4 whole days. No computers, no internet, no handphone. I must say it was great. A change indeed.
Once of the afternoon, we played plasticine while it rained outside. Yes... we come prepared with things to do at least. End up playing with one of the twin. He made a rhino and decided that I should make animals too... and not before long, it was making an animal soccer team and having a soccer match. He kinda gave up trying to do other animals while he saw me coming up with different kinds of animals and so did a team of 3 rhinos, an alligator and tortoise. And for my team, there was a giraffe, pig, hippo, snail and tortoise. Haha.
And so, after the rain and afternoon naps everyone else but me took, we usually head to the beach again. This time only the 'kids' go there... And it's always the same thing... building sandcastles, digging trench, and picking shells and corals.
The best part about the beach is the sunset in the evenings. Its quite a view... the waves rushing to shore, the clearing of people on the beach leaving the place all calm and silent... it's just you, the waves, the sand, the clouds and the sunset.
You can just stare for hours at the sunset. It's really magnificent. Calm and soothing effect. Definitely. Even sunsets are better on the other side, not just the moon or the grass. Haha.
The night sky in Bintan is beautiful. Even though you stay at a villa, the place has minimal lighting, so there's really not much 'light pollution' and once the sun sets, you see stars... not sprinkling the night sky, but fill up the dark spaces up there with light. And coincidentally we went there during the full moon (I think), so its quite a breath taking sight. Unfortunately, I don't have a good enough camera to capture what I saw. Plus the fact that the place was infested with mosquitoes and unknown bugs, night time was hardly enjoyable outdoors which was rather depressing. Sigh.
As I've mentioned, we do eat out... and recently the resort has changed management. It's now quite different and I must say I prefer the old management... but then what's good about the new one is that the food is certainly much better.
We decided to try the korean restaurant... since the resort was pretty much filled with lots of koreans. And I must say the food was GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Everything was good. From the potatoes, to kimchi, to the bbq, beef, and even the rice. Haha. I had lots of servings that night and just simply drowned myself in kimchi. I love kimchi!
The night sky in Bintan is beautiful. Even though you stay at a villa, the place has minimal lighting, so there's really not much 'light pollution' and once the sun sets, you see stars... not sprinkling the night sky, but fill up the dark spaces up there with light. And coincidentally we went there during the full moon (I think), so its quite a breath taking sight. Unfortunately, I don't have a good enough camera to capture what I saw. Plus the fact that the place was infested with mosquitoes and unknown bugs, night time was hardly enjoyable outdoors which was rather depressing. Sigh.
As I've mentioned, we do eat out... and recently the resort has changed management. It's now quite different and I must say I prefer the old management... but then what's good about the new one is that the food is certainly much better.
We decided to try the korean restaurant... since the resort was pretty much filled with lots of koreans. And I must say the food was GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Everything was good. From the potatoes, to kimchi, to the bbq, beef, and even the rice. Haha. I had lots of servings that night and just simply drowned myself in kimchi. I love kimchi!

Yesh. It was a great great dinner. We were all happy happy happy. Great korean food on an indonesian island. Haha. Well, you can't get good indonesian food there apparently. They seem to cater to their tourist more. Then as we were ranting and complimenting the food... we were pretty much the only customer then, probably because it was early local time...haha... a group of korean tourists came in. And then, to our surprise, the chef came out to chat with them about the menu and stuff (I don't speak korean so how would I know what they talked about?). Yes. A korean chef. Truly authentic korean food. Slurp!
On the last day of the trip, we headed to the beach next door, Mana Mana Beach... for the sea sports. To me, a holiday to an island/resort should be relaxing. I mean CALM and relaxing. No sports no exciting things for me.. Haha. Hey.. that's what a holiday should be. At least at a place with sun sea and sand!
On the last day of the trip, we headed to the beach next door, Mana Mana Beach... for the sea sports. To me, a holiday to an island/resort should be relaxing. I mean CALM and relaxing. No sports no exciting things for me.. Haha. Hey.. that's what a holiday should be. At least at a place with sun sea and sand!
And so, there were suntanners baking in the hot sun.. literally. Most of the people there were engaged in some sea sports or another...
We just had fun. Engaged in meaningful occupations. Going and into the flow. Even if its simple as digging a hole in the sand. That's one of the twins that didn't want to go on the banana boat coz he didn't like it. And so we dug and built sandcastles while we waited for the banana boaters to return.
Back to Mana Mana Beach... the kite flyers.
And after the beach and then the pool, we headed back to the villa and waited for the rain to pass. After which, I was literally dragged and forced to join them for the ATV session. Sigh. Why can't I just SLACKKKkkkkkk... Sobs.
So, of course I will take any opportunity to slack... so ta-da!
So, of course I will take any opportunity to slack... so ta-da!
Kinda liked it coz I didn't do much...Hahahaha! Got a little muddly, fed more mosquitoes, got a little more tanned despite the sunblock... had some coconut juice at a hut.. and headed back to the resort...
Took the easy route back.. on the pavement! That's so much cleaner but the slopes are kinda scary coz this time we went down slope rather than up. Haha.
Took the easy route back.. on the pavement! That's so much cleaner but the slopes are kinda scary coz this time we went down slope rather than up. Haha.
That's pretty much what my trip was about.... Hope I didn't bore you readers! =)
(pond at the entrance of the resort)
And to end off this post, here are some of my favourite pictures taken by yours truly.... Enjoy!













