A route all mapped out?: Sunday, August 30, 2009

There comes a point in life's journey that the people you've traveled on this journey on begins to take on a different route. The people that have grown and matured along with you, who've spent unforgettable and precious memories with you, are suddenly becoming distant from you.

Because as they travel down their own path, you realise the convergence suddenly diverges apart, from a tangent to a parallel, from a tangent to a perpendicular. Whether the two end points ever meet again, no one knows. But I can only tell, the path I'm on only brings me further away from all the main roads. Come to think of it, does the 'problem' lie with me, or has there been this invisible societal expectation I simply cannot fully comply with?

Has life been mapped out for mankind? In terms of the 'norm', from birth to death, there seems to be standardised milestones that Man should attain or pass through/experience. And any deviation from that particular pattern is NOT considered a norm.

When I was young, while others played with dolls and miniature household items, pretending to be mothers and caring for the 'baby', I was racing cars and fighting with transformers, constructing future automobiles and buildings with Lego bricks.

When I was grew up a little, while others played pretend play with white cloth over their heads, or with lacey fairy clothings, with a tiara on their heads, I had a towel tied at my neck as a cape, or a cane stuffed into my pants as my blade.

When I was a little older, while others dolled up in make-up, dresses, heels and shiny metals all over, jeans, shorts, tees and sneakers are almost only what I can find in my cupboard. I don't even own a wardrobe.

When I was a little mature, while others mingled and socialised, meeting people in hope of meeting a person to fall in love with, I craved the isolation from the world, stuck in my room, all by myself at home.

While I was a little grown-up, while others met and fell in love, and planned the purchase of their first house, pure anticipation of the first-born, together living in such conviction that this is how the 'rest of my life' will be, I yearn to be free, to never fall into this 'norm'. Freedom - to be travelling around the world, to cross the lands and oceans, on voyages of discovery of this globe I live in.

When the societal norms has never been what 'normal' means to a person, what does one do then? Of course, there will always be reasons why societal norms exists, and a million and one reason why this norm is the best choice every human being should have. This norm has infinite positives, benefits, experiences and what nots, that any other path doesn't. That is how over the centuries and time after time, mankind continue to live in this similar pattern.

But if I don't see what I'm supposedly to see, I don't understand what I'm supposedly to understand, I don't seek what I'm suppose to seek, I don't love what I'm suppose to love, how do I then, live harmoniously in the society? How do I then, learn to accept my point of view? How do I then, not be judged? How do I then, teach society to unexpect?
readers
credits: 1 2 copyright © a little memory
"♫Insert song title here!"
-