Change... A little way too fast for my liking: Sunday, October 11, 2009
Yesterday...
I woke up to the blazing rays of the sun on my face. This is what you do on a Saturday. You sleep till your body and for whatever reasons, decide that it is time to wake up. Even if it means sleeping till noon. Haha. It was 9+ when i first opened my eyes. It was HOT.
I drew the curtains and off to la la land I went. The next moment, I was awoken by raindrops falling on my face. It was just an hour ago that my sleep was disturbed by the killer UV rays, and the next moment, my sleep was disturbed by the tears of heaven.
Lying in bed, I wonder how this erratic change in weather can happen in just a short span of time. It's like how it has been going on for years... THE global warming? But who wants to ponder about such a thing the first thing you wake up. Rather, I was thinking about changes.
Changes happening in life.
Changes happening in life that is going a little way too fast for my liking.
I, for one, welcome changes. But ironically, I, for one, dislike changes.
If living is simply a constant line, no deviations, no bends, no curves, no bumps... just a smooth constant line from the beginning to the end, perhaps I'll be living very comfortably. Changes, disrupt this constant. I don't like my line being changed. Especially when it's changed too fast. Don't ask me why. It just turns my world upside down. And I have to go through the whole process of adapting, which can be such a chore for me.
You can all me autistic. That's fine with me. I'm sure I fall somewhere along the spectrum.
And just on the same day, I took a trip down to Orchard Road. Where I experienced a change. Change a little too fast for me.
Orchard Road - A place in Singapore where I now, try to avoid. The crowd is.... there's just people, people, people, and more people. Tall people. Short people. Pretty people. Handsome people. Ugly people. Monstrous people. Perfumed people. Smelly people. Colourful people. Pale people. And it goes on....
There is just too much sensory stimuli that I cannot process. Put me in a shopping centre or even just the MRT station in Orchard on a weekend afternoon, the rest of my day is a goner. I will spend the rest of my time recuperating.
So instead of going home from Orchard station, I decided to take a walk to Dhoby Ghaut station, something I have not done in a while. I was stunned to pass the changes going on in Orchard Road. Major shopping buildings are just 'upgrading and expanding' to monstrous buildings. Old shophouses with such local flavour and history in them are being stripped off. In place, new bling-bling monstrous skyscrapers are being filled in their place.
I almost couldn't recognise the place I was in. Wow.
And I chanced upon a new building. Orchard Central. I was curious. This monstrous looking thing, yet beautifully attractive to me. Loved the entire exterior design. The use of light, space and lines. Being such a non-Singaporean, I decided it was time for me to explore this new thing.

Or at least new to me.
I think I've spent a whole full hour there. I just walked. Admiring the beautiful interior design. The arty farty photoy design. The clever and unique use of lines and squares, the capture of light in each and every little corner. Peep through an unexpected corner of space, awesome pieces of art is what you see. I don't know how many people think of it that way, but my hour spent at Orchard Central was like an hour spent in a modern art museum. I was just mesmerised by everything about the building, the design, the lights, shapes, colours, the many themes used at each level of the building....etc.etc.etc.
I only then wished I had my camera with me, along with a sudden miraculous insurge of photography talent (which of course, is never going to happen), to capture what my eyes were feasting on.
I only then wished I had my sketch book with me, along with a sudden miraculous insurge of artistic talent (which again, of course, will never happen), to capture what my eyes were mesmerized over.
Who cares about the shops. I'm not the shopaholic.
Oh, how I wish this could happen more often.
Now, for this kind of change... I can learn to like.
I woke up to the blazing rays of the sun on my face. This is what you do on a Saturday. You sleep till your body and for whatever reasons, decide that it is time to wake up. Even if it means sleeping till noon. Haha. It was 9+ when i first opened my eyes. It was HOT.
I drew the curtains and off to la la land I went. The next moment, I was awoken by raindrops falling on my face. It was just an hour ago that my sleep was disturbed by the killer UV rays, and the next moment, my sleep was disturbed by the tears of heaven.
Lying in bed, I wonder how this erratic change in weather can happen in just a short span of time. It's like how it has been going on for years... THE global warming? But who wants to ponder about such a thing the first thing you wake up. Rather, I was thinking about changes.
Changes happening in life.
Changes happening in life that is going a little way too fast for my liking.
I, for one, welcome changes. But ironically, I, for one, dislike changes.
If living is simply a constant line, no deviations, no bends, no curves, no bumps... just a smooth constant line from the beginning to the end, perhaps I'll be living very comfortably. Changes, disrupt this constant. I don't like my line being changed. Especially when it's changed too fast. Don't ask me why. It just turns my world upside down. And I have to go through the whole process of adapting, which can be such a chore for me.
You can all me autistic. That's fine with me. I'm sure I fall somewhere along the spectrum.
And just on the same day, I took a trip down to Orchard Road. Where I experienced a change. Change a little too fast for me.
Orchard Road - A place in Singapore where I now, try to avoid. The crowd is.... there's just people, people, people, and more people. Tall people. Short people. Pretty people. Handsome people. Ugly people. Monstrous people. Perfumed people. Smelly people. Colourful people. Pale people. And it goes on....
There is just too much sensory stimuli that I cannot process. Put me in a shopping centre or even just the MRT station in Orchard on a weekend afternoon, the rest of my day is a goner. I will spend the rest of my time recuperating.
So instead of going home from Orchard station, I decided to take a walk to Dhoby Ghaut station, something I have not done in a while. I was stunned to pass the changes going on in Orchard Road. Major shopping buildings are just 'upgrading and expanding' to monstrous buildings. Old shophouses with such local flavour and history in them are being stripped off. In place, new bling-bling monstrous skyscrapers are being filled in their place.
I almost couldn't recognise the place I was in. Wow.
And I chanced upon a new building. Orchard Central. I was curious. This monstrous looking thing, yet beautifully attractive to me. Loved the entire exterior design. The use of light, space and lines. Being such a non-Singaporean, I decided it was time for me to explore this new thing.

Or at least new to me.
I think I've spent a whole full hour there. I just walked. Admiring the beautiful interior design. The arty farty photoy design. The clever and unique use of lines and squares, the capture of light in each and every little corner. Peep through an unexpected corner of space, awesome pieces of art is what you see. I don't know how many people think of it that way, but my hour spent at Orchard Central was like an hour spent in a modern art museum. I was just mesmerised by everything about the building, the design, the lights, shapes, colours, the many themes used at each level of the building....etc.etc.etc.
I only then wished I had my camera with me, along with a sudden miraculous insurge of photography talent (which of course, is never going to happen), to capture what my eyes were feasting on.
I only then wished I had my sketch book with me, along with a sudden miraculous insurge of artistic talent (which again, of course, will never happen), to capture what my eyes were mesmerized over.
Who cares about the shops. I'm not the shopaholic.
Oh, how I wish this could happen more often.
Now, for this kind of change... I can learn to like.












