Hooked!: Saturday, December 12, 2009
Recently, I've re-found the joy in exploring computer programs... I went back to self-learning photoshop again. And I'm hooked!! Of course, I'm not that pro to be able to figure out it on my own. The wonders of the internet makes everything possible. There is a saying.. the sky is the limit. I think it should be the internet is the limit. Nothing cannot be found online! Hahahaha...
Then that really makes you ponder where was the world at before the invention of the internet. And for those of us who lived through years where internet was yet to be invented to the introduction of the internet to the public, to the 'globalisation' of internet to the masses, do we actually recall what life was like without the internet. Or better still, without a PC/Mac? Oh wait... without Microsoft! Haha.. I sure did remember those times. Especially when I stumble across a young kid javascripting and htmling and complaining how tedious it was. -_-"
Anyway, back to photoshop. Was asked-but-you-were-not-allowed-to-say-no to design ecard at work. Sigh! And they expected things to be immediate. As if I didn't have anything better to do. But then again, I don't. Sad story. I'm not the one who has the husband nor the boyfriend. I'm not the one who is studying part-time or doing research. I'm not the one who needs to go to church or the temple. I'm not the one who needs to go home to cook or clean. But then again, there's more than one of such of me at work.
So... came up with an idea and had to look for the 'victim'. Searched around the house and I found the perfect innocent. My sister's starbucks christmas penguin toy. I messaged my sister to ask if I could borrow her penguin and she replied asking me what I'm going to do with it. This was my text reply to her:
"I'm going to make him famous... I'm going to shoot him to death. Muahahahaha..."
Problem was he was still attached to the tag/brand that my sister threatened me to never cut it off and that I couldn't just shoot him, in case of some infringement of some rights I have never heard of. So I pluck a present of my christmas wreath hanging at my door. Stuck lots of tape and double-sided tape to Mr Penguin and his tag and the present he needed to present! Now, subject settled.
Then, there I go, setting up a cute corner of the house with some decent lights from whatever natural and artificial light I can find at home. Fiddled my beloved Nikon and got a decent photo of Mr Penguin...well, at least one I liked.

This is the raw photo of him. Cute isn't it. But of course... not professional looking enough for a ecard to be distributed around by professionals working at A.B.C. (place shall remain anonymous. haha). So then I go messing around the photo with photoshop to try to create my idea that my little mind had conjured.
Aim/Long-term Goal: I wanted Mr Penguin to be standing on ice. Like it was winter. White A4 printing paper aint going to give that kind of effect. Unfortunately.
Here I go 'shopping' photos! So first of, creating the background.

Looks like ice, isn't it? Haha. Good enough. I didn't know how to make it look like it was snowing. Oh wells!

Then adding Mr Penguin onto the ice! It's not as hard as it looks btw... at least not this step. It's just a matter of cutting him.
To make it just a little tat more realistic...

A reflection! Ice reflects.... isn't it? I haven't seen an ice skating ring nor a ice surface that I could walk on.... so I would imagine so. At least, that' what I see on TV and in movies. The only iced surface I've stepped on was climbing a glacier. I sure didn't see my reflection on the floor. Hahaha. Next comes adjusting the reflection to make it a little more 'real' and of course.. the greeting! (which was given to me. not my idea)

And last, but, not least... propaganda. -_-" not my choice either.

Finishing touch... maybe I should watermark my trademark into it too. Tsk.
I'm kinda proud of my first 'pro'...ok. not pro. serious. serious project. Hahaha...
Then that really makes you ponder where was the world at before the invention of the internet. And for those of us who lived through years where internet was yet to be invented to the introduction of the internet to the public, to the 'globalisation' of internet to the masses, do we actually recall what life was like without the internet. Or better still, without a PC/Mac? Oh wait... without Microsoft! Haha.. I sure did remember those times. Especially when I stumble across a young kid javascripting and htmling and complaining how tedious it was. -_-"
Anyway, back to photoshop. Was asked-but-you-were-not-allowed-to-say-no to design ecard at work. Sigh! And they expected things to be immediate. As if I didn't have anything better to do. But then again, I don't. Sad story. I'm not the one who has the husband nor the boyfriend. I'm not the one who is studying part-time or doing research. I'm not the one who needs to go to church or the temple. I'm not the one who needs to go home to cook or clean. But then again, there's more than one of such of me at work.
So... came up with an idea and had to look for the 'victim'. Searched around the house and I found the perfect innocent. My sister's starbucks christmas penguin toy. I messaged my sister to ask if I could borrow her penguin and she replied asking me what I'm going to do with it. This was my text reply to her:
"I'm going to make him famous... I'm going to shoot him to death. Muahahahaha..."
Problem was he was still attached to the tag/brand that my sister threatened me to never cut it off and that I couldn't just shoot him, in case of some infringement of some rights I have never heard of. So I pluck a present of my christmas wreath hanging at my door. Stuck lots of tape and double-sided tape to Mr Penguin and his tag and the present he needed to present! Now, subject settled.
Then, there I go, setting up a cute corner of the house with some decent lights from whatever natural and artificial light I can find at home. Fiddled my beloved Nikon and got a decent photo of Mr Penguin...well, at least one I liked.
This is the raw photo of him. Cute isn't it. But of course... not professional looking enough for a ecard to be distributed around by professionals working at A.B.C. (place shall remain anonymous. haha). So then I go messing around the photo with photoshop to try to create my idea that my little mind had conjured.
Aim/Long-term Goal: I wanted Mr Penguin to be standing on ice. Like it was winter. White A4 printing paper aint going to give that kind of effect. Unfortunately.
Here I go 'shopping' photos! So first of, creating the background.

Looks like ice, isn't it? Haha. Good enough. I didn't know how to make it look like it was snowing. Oh wells!

Then adding Mr Penguin onto the ice! It's not as hard as it looks btw... at least not this step. It's just a matter of cutting him.
To make it just a little tat more realistic...

A reflection! Ice reflects.... isn't it? I haven't seen an ice skating ring nor a ice surface that I could walk on.... so I would imagine so. At least, that' what I see on TV and in movies. The only iced surface I've stepped on was climbing a glacier. I sure didn't see my reflection on the floor. Hahaha. Next comes adjusting the reflection to make it a little more 'real' and of course.. the greeting! (which was given to me. not my idea)

And last, but, not least... propaganda. -_-" not my choice either.

Finishing touch... maybe I should watermark my trademark into it too. Tsk.
I'm kinda proud of my first 'pro'...ok. not pro. serious. serious project. Hahaha...












